Saturday, December 21, 2013

What No Christmas tree?

Shock, horror - no christmas tree?  "But you must have a tree!" said many of my work colleagues when I said I was planning on doing things differently this year.  I'm not a huge fan of Christmas decorations but I did want something, so I decided to keep things much simpler this year and this is what I've done.


I picked the red stems of cornus elegantisma from the garden, wrapped some lights around them and hung a few small gold or wooden decorations from them, including some gold skeleton leaves.


The table candles have been given a wrap of ivy (my garden has loads!),



and the stairs have their usual garland.


I sprayed some agapanthus seed heads (again from the garden) and put them in a vase with lights and gold chains (next to Mrs Bovver Boots Angel),


added some more ivy above some pictures and mirrors and put some of the unused baubles onto a platter.


It's simpler, it's more me, and I'm happy!  Now I still need to tackle wrapping presents and doing some cooking, oh and watch the Strictly final too :-)

Happy Christmas everyone - have a wonderful time whatever you're doing.

8 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Think your decorations are superb!!

Julie said...

I love your decorations... so simple and so elegant.

I enjoyed the Strictly final and was glad that Abbey won.

Happy Christmas :o)

Gina said...

I think your decorations look stunning! Hope you enjoyed that final last night!

Jo said...

I don't think you'll miss a Christmas tree, your decorations are beautiful.

Anna said...

What exquisite natural decorations Su. I'm sure that you will not be pining for a tree. Wishing you peace and joy at Christmas and happy gardening in 2014 xxx

Anonymous said...

Your decorations look so much more elegant than the usual over-the-top sort. Enjoy the festivities.

Julie said...

I love your decorations too. A friend of mine used to bring in stems from the garden at Christmas and slowly the flowers of the forsythia would open in the warmth. It always looked lovely with her few Christmas decorations on it and some tinsel. Lovely to have a natural Christmas. Merry Christmas to you and a Happy New Year.

Emma said...

Absolutely gorgeous!I always make a wreath, well a hanging spray kind of thing, from the greenery in the garden. Looking back over your posts of your lovely garden you inspire me to try & bring mine back to what it should be. Hope you had a peaceful Christmas & have a happy new year.