Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Autumn?

Despite the fact that I still can't really do any gardening and haven't done any for what seems like years but is actually only about 6 weeks, the garden is still hanging on to many blooms.  It seems reluctant to acknowledge that it's autumn and rapidly heading towards November, preferring to keep its late summer blooms.

The arbutilon still has buds on but will need moving into the greenhouse soon,


I don't remember sweet peas still flowering this late before


and the bedding fuchsias are still going strong,


as are some clematis.


Soon it will be time to protect the dahlias (I don't lift them and they seem to survive fine).


This salvia (Cambridge Blue) is still flowering well,


as is the hardy fuchsia.



But there are signs of autumn - this rose (Wollerton Old Hall) nestles amongst the decaying seed heads of the poppies,


Sedum (Red Cauli),


and this Japanese Anemone,


are surrounded by autumn leaves.


But I am still harvesting courgettes, generally only 3 or 4 a week now though,


and there are flower buds on the hollyhocks!


This little robin was singing his heart out,


he's clearly enjoying the mild weather.

12 comments:

Plain Jane said...

What a lovely insight into your garden Su - the flowers are certainly hanging on! Scary to think November is so near. Take care x Jane

rusty duck said...

What colourful leaves you have, like confetti!

vintagerockchick said...

Yes, isn't it lovely, there are still lots of flowers blooming in my garden too - and indoors my Christmas cactus have little pink buds on them - what season is this.......?

Frances said...

Su, your October garden has lots of beautiful blooms still going. Bravo to you and Mother Nature, too.

Earlier today, while visiting the farmers market, I was pleasantly surprised to still find some tomatoes, naturally ripened by the early Autumn sun. The farmer said that she'd might still have these tomatoes available for two more weeks. Wow! After that, it's on to November, and other seasonal produce.

I love that little robin and will probably want to do a sketch from your photo. May I, please?

Your photograph of the scattered multi-colored leaves also has caught my eye. It's a great mix of shapes and colors.

I've had a grand visit here. Thank you, Su. xo

Mystic Quilter said...

What a lovely wander through your garden!
Your delicious rose is such a beautiful colour - is it a David Austin?

Celia Hart said...

Do you remember one year recently when we had snow at the end of October? This year is so mild! I haven't even considered. Moving the pelargoniums and tender salvias into the greenhouse yet - when the first frost is forecast I'll be scooting around like a mad thing!

Bright flowers at this time of year are such a treat!
xx

Gina said...

I planted some bulbs a couple of weeks ago and they are all coming up. I'm still getting a few courgettes too.

elaine said...

What a great year it has been in the garden - still so much in flower - thank goodness that we have had no frost to speak off - the garden lives on.

Anonymous said...

You have a lot of beautiful blooms there Su. All I have is my Wallflowers starting to bloom all over again and some Evening Primrose and Borage, both of which should be over by now.

crafty cat corner said...

Isn't it amazing how all these flowers are still in bloom. I have a clematis bud just about to unfurl.
I loe the robin photo, but then it is my favourite bird.
Thanks for the comment on the cats Su.
Briony
x

Hoehoegrow said...

It is such an interesting autumn, unlike any I can remember, and I can remember quite a few! Yesterday was as warm as a summer's day, here in Lincolnshire, and there are still so many things still flowering in the garden, and still growing.

Iz said...

What a beautiful garden. I haven't touched mine for months now, and it certainly isn't as pretty as yours!