|before (2008) - doesn't the garden look narrow?|
Over the last 2 years I've had to periodically cut branches off that were too low or causing too much shade. This year I wanted to let more light into the garden without having to loose my lovely snake bark maple, so I decided the pittosporum had to go. I used various brute force and ignorance techniques with extendable loppers, a step ladder and, once most of the height had been reduced, an electric saw. It took the whole afternoon, and was much taller than I'd realised (between 15 and 20 foot), but I had a great feeling of satisfaction when I finally sawed through the trunk at ground level.
I can't even attempt to get the roots out so I've painted the stump with stump killer. This whole area of the garden is so much lighter now, and I hope that the plants will be much happier. I will add some height with an obelisk that a clematis can grow up, but that's a whole other tale!
|after (Aug 2010) - no tree and the garden seems wider!|