Thursday, June 2, 2011

Blowsy Blooms

This week my peony has opened.  Not many buds (actually only two have made it to the flowering stage, but that's double last year so I'm reasonably pleased!).  It's very blowsy, but also looks delicate and subtle in its shades of white with a hint of pale pink:

Peony Shirley Temple

Peony Shirley Temple

But it's not all tasteful and subtle here at the moment as this oriental poppy has also opened:

Oriental Poppy Garden Glory

I don't usually do orange in the garden, but this is more salmon than bright orange and it does bring a splash of colour onto the patio.   I love its frilly edges.

Oriental Poppy Garden Glory
 
You can't beat a bit of blowsiness occasionally can you?!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous blooms!

Miriam Weaver said...

The peonie and poppies are beautiful, poppies are growing well in my garden too, they have seeded all over the place!

Marigold Jam said...

Flowers can get away with blowsiness in a way that people cannot! Beautiful peony such a delicate colour it could never be accused of blowsiness.

Vintage Tea Time said...

Gorgeous peony.I'm renowned for not allowing 'garish' plants in the garden, but quite a few wild, bright poppies have sneaked in! Abby x

Felted House said...

Oh I do love peonies so much - so extravagant somehow, a real luxury flower, I must try and get some more in, I've got a cream one and pale yellow but would love some stronger colours as well now. xx

ted and bunny said...

hiya- I've had "such a time" with Blogger lately, I can't remember if I was able to come and say thank you for following my blog?

If I've not been able, then please excuse the tardiness- for such an un-techy person all this computer stuff has been a steep learning curve, and if I've already said it...then you're doubly thanked!

have a lovely weekend
xx