Friday, August 19, 2011

A Whiter Shade of Pale

It's been a glorious day in Suffolk today, blue skies and sunshine - lovely!  Here are some of the white/almost white flowers that are blooming in my garden today, I think they provide a rather calm and cooling atmosphere:


Top row:  Cosmos Purity, Penstemon, Passion Flower (can't remember which variety!)
Middle row:  Rose 'Madame Alfred Carrier', Leucanthemum, Dahlia 'Cafe Au Lait'
Bottom row:  Mint flower, Anenome, Rose (unknown variety)


The penstemon was supposed to be red when I bought it, but I couldn't be bothered to take it back, and the passion flower was only planted this year and is already over 6ft high!  It's supposed to be a fully hardy one so should be ok in the winter as the garden is quite sheltered.

Wherever you are I hope the weather is kind to you this weekend - I plan to be in the garden as much as I can.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How beautiful.

For some reason I can't post a comment other than as Anmnonymous but it's me - Marigold Jam!

Su said...

How weird Marigold Jam - I guess blogger is having one of its funny turns again!

Anna said...

A most attractive selection Su. I like the penstemon and would have kept it too. Hope that the weather remains kind to you over the weekend and that you are able to garden to your heart's content.

Liz said...

Hi,

Ooooh, a fully hardy Passionflower? Cool, I didn't know any were so hardy!

I love white blooms, they're always so pretty :)

Anonymous said...

Such a lot of variety of shades, beautiful.

Reading Tea Leaves said...

I love white flowers Su. You have a very pretty collection there. I have a passionflower on a west-facing wall and it survives the winter. I cut it back to a reasonable size because they can grow to 14ft in one season!

It WAS a glorious weekend here in Suffolk wasn't it. I think September may be good ...

Jeanne
x

Jo said...

White flowers are so calming, they're so understated and pretty. I keep meaning to look in to getting a passion flower, their blooms are so intriguing.

Emma said...

Oh these are just gorgeous! I have mint about to flower & I'd never keep a passion flower up here, I'll just enjoy yours ;)

I seem to have been 'thinking' my comments , never getting round to posting them! Love your pink stitched flower piece - I refer to mine as 'mixed media textiles' which covers everything & never care what anybody else calls them! Loved your sketchbook work with a fuchsia, look forward to the next stage & might join in ....well, maybe after the show - 2 1/2 wks & so much to do!