Sunday, October 14, 2012

Autumn's Arrived.

Autumn appears to have arrived.  It's not my favourite season.  I do love the colours that it brings, but what I don't like is that it heralds the dark, cold days of winter.

Today though was all about colours.

The Snake Bark Maple looked as if it was just starting to turn into its fiery autumn colours,


but then I looked more closely.  It's not the leaves that are turning red, it's the seed pods.


I've never noticed them do this before.  The tree is absolutely dripping with them this year.  Is it because its getting older, or is it to do with the weather?  I don't know, but they are magnificent whatever the cause.

In the front garden the verbena is also full of seeds.  They are snuggling underneath the flower, again I'd never noticed this before (maybe I've just had my eyes closed before?).


And the clematis seed heads are wonderful as always,


as are the skeleton leaves on the hydrangea.


But I'll leave you with a close up of those amazing pink maple seed pods.


Isn't nature wonderful.

13 comments:

Anna said...

Oh Su those seed pods are a simply glorious colour. I think that all that wet stuff we've had is bringing some benefits.I quite like autumn in a perverse way. Time to slow down, reflect and then start to look forward with the planting of spring bulbs etc.

Debs Dust Bunny said...

Autumn is actually my favourite time of year. I know, weird, but somehow nature seems to give us the grandest display just before a long winter's nap. Your photos are lovely. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Celia Hart said...

Your seed pods are beautiful. Looks like the weather is really showing off the colours!
I like Autumn - I prefer cooler weather and heavier clothes and boots. And I like working in my studio when it's dark outside.

Celia x

dottycookie said...

I do like autumn - once he sun is up. Waking in the dark is no fun and my children hate it too.

Still, the glorious colours are worth it. And overall I do enjoy this first half of the cold dark season. Ask me again in January and it will be a different matter ...

Anonymous said...

I must confess that I love all the seasons and I feel each has it's own beauty. I love these amazing photos and I'm sure you have seen these things before but you're now seeing things with a creator's eye! ;-) Gilli @ Textile Cottage Studio

Emma said...

I love those Sumara (yes, I'm showing off!) use my Mum's acer tree sumara but there were none this year, who knows why. Stunning colors, the Acer were more burgundy. Re your last post, people always ask me why would I want to do that!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful seed pods, I don't think I have ever seen any like that.

I do love Autumn, the harvest, the colours, the soup...

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Lovely macro images Su. The detail in some seed heads is amazing.

Jeanne
x

Jo said...

Those are my exact feelings about autumn too, though it was a gorgeous day yesterday. I wouldn't mind it quite so much if all autumn days were like that. Those skeleton leaves are a wonderful effect. The Chinese lanterns go like that too. I love the colour of the maple seed pods, stunning.

harmony and rosie said...

It certainly is wonderful. Those seed pods are wonderful, such a beautiful colour. I'm a huge fan of those verbenas but they do spread like crazy. Mind you, I'd much prefer a whole load of those beauties, rather than the bindweed that we also have to fight off :(

elaine said...

When the days are bright and golden I don't mind autumn too much but when it turns manky, grey and drippy, then I definitely go iff it. Your pictures show the better side of the season.

Annie Cholewa said...

Isn't nature just!

I have never seen pink seed pods on a maple before either! They are really rather amazing!

Rustic Vintage Country said...

Wow those maple seed pods are stunning! xx