After several months of not being able to tackle it due to elbow issues I finally ripped the carpet up a few weeks ago.
Cue first hurdle - the bath panel no longer touched the floor (see it's propped up on those little wedges you get with art canvases).
After filling some of the holes in the boards first by making a few extra struts with square dowel, glue and string (the man who came to make a new step did give me some funny looks when he saw this method)
I cut bits of wood and dowel to plug the gaps, sanded and undercoated. I also painted the panelling.
I used a product called DraughtEx to fill the gaps in between the floorboards, it's amazing stuff and can't be seen once in place.
Draughtex got me thinking and I bought some pipe insulation foam things and fixed them onto the bottom of the bath panel to fill that gap.
I used Little Greene oil based floor paint, which took 16 hours to dry and involved a fair amount of planning in order to allow access to the toilet at all time, and yesterday, apart from a tiny piece of trim around the step, I finished it.
I treated myself to a new bathmat and hand towels from Dunelm,
and I am VERY pleased with the end result.