This afternoon the sun came out and very soon I had 4 experimental pieces laying in the sun to 'print'.
I have to admit I don't understand how it works (I failed both chemistry and physics o levels!) but the theory is that when objects are placed on top of heat sensitive paints/dyes (I used setacolor transparent fabric paint - it has to be the transparent one) then where the objects are makes an undyed silhouette when they're removed.
I had mixed success - the poppies (far right) didn't work at all. I think because it was all on a towel which retained the dye.
The albums (which everything I read said would work really well) sort of worked, although the texture from the plastic mat came through rather more than I would have liked.
The lavender worked well
but the one that surprised me most was the feverfew as I didn't really expect it to work (I thought it would wilt before it printed).
I'm not too keen on how the colours of the paint on this one have dried, they look sort of muddy, but the definition is really good. Where it's a bit blurry is where the shadows were.
It definitely has potential and I will do some more when I'm next at home on a sunny day.