Monday, May 29, 2017

A Quiet Bank Holiday

It's been a quiet few days here - mainly because I have almost totally lost my voice so am unable to speak!  However, the weather has been lovely so I've managed to get a lot done in the garden, which I think is looking rather lovely.


On the first patio rosa Fighting Temeraire is flowering and has clematis Ville De Lyon scrambling through it.


The oriental poppies are also in flower - this is Patty's Plum.



Going further down the garden there are more Patty's Plum in bloom,


alongside rosa Felicia.


The potato vine is flowering its little socks off


and there are more oriental poppies too - this one is Ruffled Patty.


But it's not all been about flowers, I've managed to plant most of the veggies out too.  On the this side the runner beans, broad beans and courgettes are planted with an edging nasturtiums and calendula so I can have some edible flowers in salad.


I finally planted the tomatoes out in the greenhouse too.


It's that time of year when everything looks lush, even the self sown 'weeds' amongst the paving!


So even though I have no voice, I've had a lovely few days :-)

9 comments:

Jo said...

Snap, I'm losing my voice too and I've got a terrible cough. I'm hardly ever ill but I've been struggling this weekend, courtesy of Mick as he's shared his germs. The roses and poppies are doing well here too, neither of which I was very keen on in the past but I love them both now, they've really grown on me over the years. I like the Fighting Temeraire, that's really pretty.

Frances said...

Su, surely do hope your voice returns soon. Meanwhile, what beautiful songs your fabulous garden is singing! Hard to pick favorite flowers, but I really love those oriental poppies in pink, both with and without fringes. xo

busybusybeejay said...

Lovely garden photos.We moved to our present house three years ago.Roses pop up all over the place but I don't know their names.A lot of them are scented.We are excited at the moment because blue tits are nesting I a hole in one of our beech trees.Mum and Dad spend all day going backwards and forwards feeding the babies.Fascinating watching.

Anna said...

Oh Sue I'm sorry that you have lost your voice but I'm sure that your plants will excuse you for not talking to them. Glad to hear that you are well enough to be out in the garden enjoying what I think is the best time of year. Take care and I hope that you recover quickly.

busybusybeejay said...

I forgot to say that I was in Suffolk earlier in the month.We had three nights in Bury St Edmunds.We were meeting up with friends from Ipswich and our son who lives in Cambridge so Bury was a good place to meet.We did the usual tourist trip visiting Long Melford,Lavenham,Kelsey etc plus Constable country.We ventured into Essex to visit Beth Chatto's garden.How amazing is that.Perhaps we came somewhere near to you!!!!Barbara

HazelxJoy said...

Pottering around in the garden and greenhouse is one of my favourite things to do. I don't have many flowers, I'm a lover of shrubs, but I do have some roses and they're just about to flower. I hope you find your voice again soon.
The Ruffled Patty is gorgeous.

Celia Hart said...

I'm pleased you felt well enough to garden and hope your voice is soon recovered. Those poppies are stunning!

Gina said...

I hope your voice returns soon Su. The garden is looking lovely.

Anonymous said...

As usual, I am late to the party but I must say that reading this post I could smell the perfume from the flowers. Thank you Su.