Friday, July 2, 2010

Veg Growing

I have just picked my first two courgettes!  There are lots more to come as well.  When I first had my allotment I planted 6 courgette plants and practically supplied the whole village with them!  I learnt my lesson and only planted 2 plants the next year.  Now I don't have an allotment but I manage to squeeze a small veg plot in behind the greenhouse.  Currently I an growing various cut and come again lettuces, onions, carrots, rocket, red mustard, beetroot, courgettes, runner beans, tomatoes, cucumber, and strawberries outside, with more tomatoes, cucumbers and aubergines in the greenhouse.  I have leeks that need planting and a blackcurrent bush with no fruit or flowers.  I didn't realise how much I was growing 'til I made that list!  I've picked a few strawberries, although they're in too much shade really, but I have had a lot of fresh salad.  Can't wait for the rest of the bounty!

4 comments:

freerangegirl said...

Wow - your courgettes look great. We are a few weeks behind in the growing season in Yorkshire, so its really exciting to see whats coming up! Love your blog - the photos are beautiful!

Jo said...

You won't be without corgettes now they've started producing. It's amazing what difference growing just a few things makes. The taste of home grown is so much nicer than anything you can buy in the supermarket.

Anonymous said...

For some reason my courgettes are producing flowers, and then courgettes, which immediately turn yellow when they reach about two inches and drop orff! I think the soil is knackered to be honest, leeks haven't done well and they are usually fool proof with us, so we have decided not to grow next year, except for green manures and get the soil in better condition. I shall grow in large pots, but the raised beds need resting. Like you we just have the garden to grow in, and I much prefer growing smaller amounts in succession of lots of different things, than huge amounts of just several. Good luck with the rest...

Anna said...

Enjoy the harvest Su :)